James Walsh is the CEO of MyFlock, a startup agricultural technology company. MyFlock helps poultry farms digitize, track, and share compliance and regulatory information with partners and auditors. Despite being a developer, James partnered with Kareem to build his v1 and accelerate time to market.
I have 8 years of development experience and was going to build the MVP myself in Rails, but that wouldn’t have been feasible for v1 - there wasn’t enough time.
James knew that time to market was critical, and got connected to Kareem. James was a little hesitant to work together as they’d never met in person and Kareem’s rate was a little more than James wanted to spend. But James decided to work with Kareem to build his MVP due to excellent references and Kareem’s experience building MVPs:
After chatting with Kareem, two completely independent sources said he’s great to work with. Plus, he’s been around the block a few times.
Over the course of the four month project, Kareem served as a product manager and full-stack developer for MyFlock. Over the engagement he:
- built a product roadmap
- set up a basic software development process to get features from idea to production, and to track and triage bugs
- helped prioritize key features to build based on customer and business needs
- fleshed out requirements to ensure features would solve key customer problems
- made pragmatic trade-offs to invest an appropriate level of effort when building out the MVP
- set up tooling to share code between developers
- devised a sane software architecture that supported MyFlock’s current needs and future growth
- set up the database and wrote thousands of lines of front-end and back-end code
James was happy with the results, and says:
My v1 is done so we can begin bringing farms online. Kareem is experienced, laid back and stays on track. He was great to work with over the past several months. Kareem gets stuff done and has a ton of product development experience and I would definitely recommend him.